Creating, amending and enforcing HOA rules are the bane of the manager (and volunteer director’s) existence. Rules can be a great help to a community and build community spirit, or they can create more problems and foster divisiveness and negativity… and even litigation. In this presentation Kelly Richardson will discuss the basic as well as advanced concepts in rule creation, amendment and enforcement. The very fast-paced presentation will be 60 minutes in length, including 10 minutes for questions at the end of the prepared remarks.
This course is approved by the Community Association Managers International Certification Board (CAMICB) to fulfill continuing education requirements for the CMCA® certification. www.camicb.org.
- Understand the function of rules as stated by Civil Code
- Identify the five rules that are required by law
- State the six important points of meeting rules
- Recognize the statutory process and identify common mistakes
- Be able to draft appropriate rules and identify unnecessary/harmful rules
- Know the best ways to enforce rules and recognize when a rule is not enough
- Differentiate between the power to act and the propriety of that action
- Terminology: Does It Matter?
- Rules or Just Traditions
- Bank and Assessments, Unwritten Rules
- Minutes, Rule Challenges, and Termite Treatment
- Rules vs. CC&Rs
- Board Amending CC&Rs, Forgotten Rules
- President Issuing Rules, Non-Owner President
- Changing and Enforcing Rules
- Can Boards Pass Any Rule They Want?
- Enforcing Unwritten Rules
- Does Your HOA Have Required Rules
- Recipe for Reasonable Rules
- The Rules of Rules
- Are These Rules Valid?
- We Have Unwritten Rules
- Why Governing Documents Matter